In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

A-rushin' to Arusha

Sometimes, there's just too much goin' on. In fact, I find that even when there's nothing going on over here, it's still too much.

It's a strange phenomenon, and I finally grasped it clearly last night when I had dinner with one of my editor colleagues, who's about 10 years younger than me. He had just gotten back to the office after a month's leave, and when I asked him how his time off had been, he said fine.....except that a doctor told him his blood pressure was too high. This was during his vacation.

Boy, could I relate! The pace of life here in Nairobi is relentless, even when you're just trying to get from Point A to Point B every day. Anything else you might do during the day is just an additional aggravating stressor. But I'm coping.

Anyway, one thing I'm actually looking forward to is a trip to Arusha, Tanzania next Monday, for a global health meeting. The coolest thing is I'll be flying over Mt. Kilimanjaro to get there! Mountains inspire me so much, but I'm definitely a "looker" instead of a "climber." That's all I'd need is to have a hyperventilatin' hot flash at 12,000 feet. Y'all would NOT want to see what that looked like, I promise you.

So...let me just plow through the pile of stuff I need to get finished before I can head out the door. Busy, busy, busy!

No comments: