In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Monday, October 12, 2009

Art Therapy, the Trilogy

I wasn't planning to purchase artwork from my favorite Ugandan Artist, Anwar, today. But I had lunch just around the corner from Gallery Watatu, and hadn't stopped in there in ages, and besides, I just knew I wouldn't find anything that spoke to me.

Well, as the fickle fates would have it, Gallery Owner Moses Mombaso had just received a new batch of canvases from this outrageously talented young man. There were 2 larger ones that I'm aching to own, but even someone as lacking in impulse control as I am realizes that you shouldn't drop 2 grand during a lunchtime whim.

Morris knows me by now, and while he's always pleasant enough and seems happy to see me, I'm sure he's also probably muttering under his breath, "How much discount is this bitch gon' try to get today?" Take these three pictures by Anwar: "Unity, Strongest Pillar," "The Stronger Woman in You," and "Year Planner." Before Morris arrived, the young staffer looked me up and down and said each canvas cost $600. I looked at him like his name was "Boo Boo The Fool." Or like he must have thought that was my name.

After a few outraged snorts, I tersely explained that 6 months ago, I had bought my Anwar entitled "Zanzibari Princess" for a third of that price. And it's slightly larger than these canvases! Now, I realize that art can appreciate in value over time, but as long as young Anwar still has a pulse, it ain't shot up like that so fast. Then Morris showed up, heaved a sigh, and rocked me a deal. Like, 3 for the price of one. Anything to get this haggling harridan the fuck up outta his gallery.

So now I'm the extremely proud owner of three new Anwars! And the names spoke volumes to me, as usual. Unity, Strength, and Planning Ahead....all themes I need to focus on. Hey, I'm no Peggy Cooper Cafritz, but I can still be pretty freakin' urbane when I wanna be!

No comments: