In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Pretty As a Picture

I was telling somebody at a dinner last night that one of my biggest frustrations about living outside the US is missing out on the Obama presidency. Even though I follow news from home as much as possible, it's just not the same. And while I'm actually sort of glad I'm not absorbing some of the mindless vitriol directed at the President and Mrs. Obama, it's just weirdly ironic that I lived long enough to see a black man as President of the United States, but don't get to experience it firsthand.

Then again, I figure I'm saving a bundle on picture frames. I would spend every cent of my disposable income buying every image of the Obamas on every newsstand I came across, and would proudly display them on every available surface.

Almost a year after the Election, it's still unbelievable. It still makes my heart soar a bit to see photos like these. What a difference a lifetime makes.

No comments: