In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Thursday, December 31, 2009

To Serve Rachella

It is about a quarter til New Year's Day, 2010, and I am happier than I've been in a very long time.

I'm at my BFF Marcy's apartment in Brooklyn, and we've both crashed after a great meal at a great neighborhood Thai restaurant with her friend Janet and two hyperactive, adorable daschunds, and now I'm sacked out on Marcy's couch watching the Twilight Zone marathon on the SyFy Channel. The "To Serve Man" episode, to be specific.

This is what I miss in Nairobi. Not the feeling of being in the Twilight Zone, but the comfort and love and support of dear friends. Of being heard and understood and validated. Of peace.

So I'm soaking it up over the next week. And I'm remembering that real friendship never fades. And that I'll be watching the Twilight Zone New Year's Eve Marathon whenever I can for the rest of my life, whether it's by myself or curled up in some man's arms. God willing, next year this time, it'll be the latter.

That would be MY recipe for a happy, healthy New Year.

No comments: