In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

"Scenes of Wretched Excess: Take 2"

This is a shopping cart at the Gigantoriffic Bed Bath and Beyond near the Gargantuan Apple Story near 64th and Broadway. I usually enjoy browsing at Bed, Bath and Beyond, because you always come up with ideas for stuff that would make your life more organized and civil, if you are willing to sink a small fortune.

That has to be the biggest B, B and B I've ever seen in my life, with more doo-dads, travel-sized items, health and beauty products, linens and things, and all and sundry other junk than you and 1,000 other people could use in a decade. It was big as a small East African village.

More than all the stuff, one thing that left me agog was this escalator thing-y type contraption for shopping carts. I'm probably so far behind the rest of civilization that this thing may be standard issue these days. But I actually stood there for a couple of minutes wondering what the hell it was. It runs parallel to the regular escalator, but I couldn't decide if it was for wheelchairs, or for loading delivery boxes or what.

Then I saw this young woman nose her cart into the entry of this contraption, and some little gizmos attached to the front wheel, and then the whole thing glided along beside her as she moved to the upper level. I'm sorry, but the whole process was vastly more entertaining than most of the content of Kenyan television! Leave it to Americans to keep finding ways to make spending more money than you earn a much less physically challenging experience...

That is, unless you are fool enough to enter a major department store like Macy's during the after Christmas period, which is where the next Scene of Wretched Excess occurred....

No comments: