In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

"Scenes of Wretched Excess: Take 4"

.....Speaking of which, here's one more thing I've been absolutely obsessed by this past week...electricity. Again, it's just something you take for granted in America that around Christmas time, everybody goes completely batshit loopy about flashing lights and ornaments and electric trains and non-stop holiday movie viewing on new 52 inch flat-screen TVs and such.

Cities light up, and neighbors compete for best outside decoration prizes. Department stores like Macy's cover every available surface with big-assed lighted displays that startle, stun, and hypnotize you into having a merry-fucking-Christmas, dammit, and leave your wallet at the door to help us pay for all this high-wattage holiday spirit.

Again, after the past 3 years in Uganda and Kenya, with their rolling blackouts and rationing, I just don't take electricity for granted any more. I just don't believe that it will always be readily available. I've lost that automatic expectation that all I need to do is flip a switch, and there'll be light.

Maybe that'll be a good thing for when I come back home for good. Maybe I'll take fewer things for granted.

Or not. After all, I AM Princess Rachella.

No comments: