In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

"Scenes of Wretched Excess: Take 3"

This picture really doesn't do the Macy's Mob Scene justice. It's just that this was the first time I was able to break free from the throng and actually reach into my pocket for the camera without having somebody jostle me from behind or bark at me for slowing down.

I swear to God, all I went in there for was a pair of warm socks. Sure, I peeked at the 75 percent off racks, too, but for the first time in a long time, I was actually repulsed by the act of shopping. I mean, there were more goo gobs of people in there than on the streets of Nairobi at high noon, and you can't imagine how many people there are on the streets of Nairobi at high noon. I'm telling you, you just don't even want to think about it, because a lot of them are, like, missing limbs or thrusting their mewling infants at you whilst begging for money, or ready to jack you at the first available opportunity.....

But I digress. I took this picture because it struck me that all the stuff I've been reading online about America's economic challenges seemed to be a flat out lie, based on the sea of humanity in Macy's. Kinda makes you wonder what to believe......

No comments: