In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Monday, March 23, 2009

A Touch of Class


I thought I'd share a few more images of PCEA Muniu Primary School, since I'm asking y'all to help me support the kids. I've posted some more pictures on my "Project Archangel Julie" Facebook Album; you can check them out at,

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=96949&id=772031562&saved#/album.php?aid=96949&id=772031562&ref=mf

This was my first peek inside the corrugated tin classroom, and I have to say, I felt more warmth and energy in this setting than in many of the bustling, overcrowded buildings I've visited in the States. These kids are here to learn, because at least here there are benches and desks to write on, instead of the cold tarp floor of their tents back at the IDP camp, where they must lie on their bellies and squint at their homework by candlelight.

1 comment:

DeSilversinOregon said...

Princess Rachella,

I am SO impressed by what you're doing, and I'm so jealous -- reminds me of my time in Africa which right at this moment -- as I deal with a 10 percent pay cut, forced furlough and a pension freeze -- seems so long ago.

I will make sure to teach your goddaughter (i.e, Rachel), how special you are and how lucky I am to know you.

Much love (and be careful out there)!
lgl