In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Friday, March 13, 2009

A Whole 'Nuther Perspective



I am exhausted. Spent most of today in the literal windswept dustbowl that is the Maai Mahiu Internally Displaced Persons Camp, about 90 minutes from Nairobi in the heart of the Greater Rift Valley. At some point, I'm going to post the picture of just how rusty and crusty my freshly pedicured feet wound up looking by the time I left.

Spent the rest of the afternoon and evening getting my roots retouched and retwisted. All I'll say is I think I'm the closest thing to an official blonde as I've ever been in my life. (Other than those 45 nerve-shredding minutes I spent as a platinum blonde a few months ago.) Don't worry, I'll explain later.

Once I've gotten some sleep and had time to emotionally process yet another transcendental experience, I will tell it like it was. But I wanted to share this photo today, while it's still Friday the 13th. It sort of sums up the startling epiphany I reached. First, I think I've developed a stronger, more emotionally complex and fulfilling relationship with my new BlackBerry Bold 9000 phone than I have with any of the men I've ever known. I just frakkin' LOVE that thing, and the fact that I can post pictures to my Facebook page while on a semi-remote island in the Indian Ocean or in an IDP camp just slays me.

Then, of course, there are the children. I've been wanting to add to my collection of photos of Ugandan children in IDP camps, because, unfortunately, the government doesn't seem motivated to help most of the people stuck in similar Kenyan camps get back to their home communities. Though I was there helping develop a story about mental health counseling services, I just had to go hang out with the kids for a while.

And then there's the boy in the front of the frame, rolling a bald tire. That tire, and a raggedy tennis ball, are the only two "toys" the children at the PCEA Muniu Primary School have to play with.

That's all I'll say for now, but keep the tire image in mind. You'll be quizzed on it later.

Good night, and I hope you're as grateful for every single thing that you have as I am at this very moment.

No comments: