In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Having a Ball


This is the picture that finally made everything fall into place for me. Near the center of the frame, there's a little girl in her maroon school uniform crouching, holding one of PCEA Muniu Primary School's 2 toys...a raggedy tennis ball.

As I captured this image on my own beloved new toy, I realized that its purchase price could buy toys for every child living in the Maai Mahiu Internally Displaced Persons Camp. And if these children are squealing and shouting and laughing their heads off over a cast off tennis ball, what kind of joy would they experience with enough brand new toys for everyone to share?

That's when I knew I had some shopping to do this weekend. Thinking about it, I got excited as a kid in a toy store.

No comments: