In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Collecting Dust Bunnies


I have never felt more victorious in my entire life as when I figured out how to get the pictures out of my BlackBerry and onto my laptop. After spending most of the afternoon and evening alternating between intimidation and muttered curses, I finally did it.

I'm starting a Facebook Album called, "Dust Bunnies: The Children of Maai Mahiu." It'll be a work in progress for a while, but I'll share the link once it's finished.

Meanwhile, it's 11:35 PM, and I'm about ready to sack out. But here's my "cover boy" who's so cute, it can't even be hidden by 3 inches of dust. And even though it breaks your heart that he and so many other children have to live like this, it also makes you remember that there's more dignity, strength and courage in an IDP camp than in any 10 State Houses anywhere in the world.

And if there's any justice left anywhere in this universe, this boy will live past the age of 2.

No comments: