In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Portrait 4

The expression on my face says it all. Even if I HAD a healthy, lush hairline, this 'do is a 'don't. It's too severe and streamlined for my oblong face. It definitely wouldn't work in a professional setting.

And why would that young stylist even think it was appropriate for me??? I'd like to think she thought I was younger than I am, and therefore eager to walk around looking like a reject from a Bronner Brothers hair show. And based on how her friends wear their hair, and how most women she knows wear their hair, she probably thought this was a good look.

So did the toothless vagrant who accosted me on the way back to my friend Jamila's apartment in Midtown Atlanta. In his crack and booze addled brain, I was hotter than the day's sweltering temperatures.

And speaking of Jamila, she stared in not-so-mock horror when she saw my head. Her friend Sabriya paused and said, "That just makes me sad."

"Friends.....how many of us have them? Friends....ones we can depend on?"

No comments: