In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Desperate Obama Linkage Number 1

Okay, so I've been hatching this scheme to use my Kenya connection to subtly influence my nephew to aspire to high political office. I mean, the parallels are incredibly strong; David and Linda were married in Hawaii, and loved that state dearly. James is biracial. I'm working in Kenya, the birthplace of Obama's father....

You see where I'm headed with this??? It's not COMPLETELY half-baked, is it???

Okay, so maybe it is, but I don't care. That's why I brought James this ornate gourd as one of his graduation presents. I had attended the Maasai rite of passage ceremony a few weeks earlier, and knew that the young men who take part in the rite carry gourds of sour milk for nourishment.

James has traveled far in life, especially over the past 7 years. He's scaled and vanquished quite a few mountains and foes. He's a warrior prince in my eyes, and I wanted him to have something ornate and unusual to mark this passage.

Which I hope he will enjoy even if he DOESN'T become the 51st President of the United States. No pressure, kiddo.

No comments: