In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

"Before We Go Any Further, Let's Be FRIENDS!"

When I think of the people I've spent time with these past few weeks, the immortal lyrics of the legendary rap group "Whodini" come to mind....

"Friends is a word we use every day. Most of times we use it in the wrong way. Now, you can look the word up again and again, But the dictionary doesn't know the meaning of friends."

But the heart does. I have known the woman performing a mission of mercy in this picture since she was about 17 years old. Jamila is now a top editor at a major newspaper, and I'm proud to say she calls me her mentor AND friend.

And she pounced on my head without even asking, after she caught her breath and gasped, "We can't go out in public with you looking like that!!!"

Now THAT'S a true friend.

No comments: