In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Saturday, August 1, 2009

A Million Whispers


Once again, I'm sitting at Gate 4 in Jomo K airport, headed to another East African country. You know, for all my talk of Golden Monkeys and journalism workshops lately, you'd never guess that my destination is the site of one of the worst genocides in modern history. Rwanda may have a Thousand Hills, but 15 years ago, nearly a million people were brutally massacred there.

Tomorrow morning, I will visit the Gisozi Genocide Memorial in Kigali, and I'm bracing myself for the experience. A few weeks back, I wrote about how profoundly shaken I was during a 2003 visit to Elmina Castle in Ghana, where many Africans began their tortured journey to America 4 centuries ago. How will I manage a psychic journey through a brutal episode that happened just 15 years ago?

Time will tell. It always does.

No comments: