In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Monday, August 24, 2009

"Ou Est Didier?"


What is it about me that makes the Universe hunt me down like a dog in the streets???

But then I guess I should have known I hadn't seen the last of a little Francophone boy named Didier when I met him in Kigali. I mean, look at his face. Really.

There's a fierceness. There's a determination. I knew that from the minute I introduced him to the group of Rwandan workshop journalists and asked if we could interview him, and he inquired what was our "aim in talking to him." I mean, most kids either clam up in those kinds of situations, or timidly do what they're told.
Didier wasn't havin' it. He was, like, "Whatcha gon' do with the information I give you?"
That boy fronted me off so bad, I wound up leaving him my business card. I wanted to make sure he knew we weren't just wasting his time. But walking away, I couldn't help feeling a bit sad. I know I shouldn't have even considered the faintest possibility that this HIV positive boy from Rwanda who wants to grow up to be a pilot for Boeing might not live to reach that goal.
And then I get an email. Out of the blue. Kinda. But then again, look at this boy's face again. What made me think Didier was through with me???? Here's what the email said:
"I want to greet you for to explain me for you,

I'm children from KIBAGABAGA Hospital , I wans found your email but I happy to send to you my adreess email.

Name is RUGWIRO Didier from Remara- Kigali

I'm student in 5eme primaire at REMERA Catholic B

I have 13 years olds . My Father's number is ------. if you want you can colled my father on this number. and send to me a messege .

thank for your answer.

Didier"
I got chills reading that email. My eyes welled up. My heart felt like it was gonna burst from my chest. And I knew that if this little Rwandan boy with a potentially life-threatening condition, but who also possessed long-term life goals, could make the effort to reach out to me, I had to respond.
So I'm brushing up on my French conversation tapes. They remind me of the very first French lesson I took at Cairo High School, back in 1977. Here are the first few sentences I learned:
"Ou est Sylvie?
Au lycee."
"Ou est Didier?
A la piscine."
"Avec qui?
Avec Anne."
Now I have to change it up a bit.
"Ou est Didier?
"Au coeur de Rachel."

No comments: