In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Apple of My Eye


To paraphrase a sentiment from Angelina Jolie, "I am SOOO in love with my Mac Book right now!" But since I'm not referring to a biological sibling, it just sounds a lot less creepy.

It is such an incredibly handy toy! I've been in Kigali about 5 hours now, and have finished a report, caught up on email, done some vacation investigation, and spent a bit more time figuring this thing out (still can't use about 90 percent of its powers, I reckon). After years of hesitation, I finally took the plunge a few weeks back when one of the local mobile phone companies offered a special on Mac Books. I'd been eyeballing the 13 inch Pro, an upgrade from your basic Mac Book which would have cost an additional 8oo dollars. But since the shipments were taking forever to get to Nairobi, I just got too antsy and went ahead an bought a "starter."

Honey chile, once you go Mac, it's like that first hit of crack! It is BEYOND awesome. Downloads are a dream. It's small and easily portable. And I just about plotz every time I go online and all my bookmarks are arrayed across the screen in orderly rows. It is BEYOND KEWL.

Anyway, the events of the past few weeks still have me feeling kinda wiped. Supposed to go out to dinner with some Embassy folks and someone from CDC Rwanda, and then I'm gonna do something totally crazy, if I can stay awake. I brought my copy of the HBO movie "Sometime in April" with me on this trip, and I plan to watch it on my Mac Book tonight to prepare myself for going to the Genocide Museum tomorrow. I've never been able to bring myself to view this movie about the 1994 Rwandan genocide before now, but some melodramatic streak overtook me. We'll see if I'm up for it......

......since I probably won't be sleeping much tonight, because there's no air conditioning in the hotel. But then, menopausal misery should put me in just the right mood.

No comments: