In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Always Idris


Couldn't stay awake last night, after having a terrific Indian meal at Khana Khazana Restaurant in Kigali. I was so stuffed, not even the stuffy heat in the room prevented sleep.

So as a pink a blue sunrise dawned, I popped in my DVD of "Sometimes in April." It just finished, ad I'm slightly shaken, deeply moved, and very thoughtful.

But I have to admit my main thought from that movie is that sometimes, a lead actor's absolutely astonishing gorgeousness can be a distraction. Don't get me wrong--Idris Elba was superb. I felt every ounce of his frustration, fear and pain at the loss of his family and the madness his country descended into.

However....DAMN, THAT MAN IS FINE!!! I felt the same way after watching "Hotel Rwanda", which I will discuss more at length when I actually visit the Hotel Des Milles Collines later this week. I mean, how are you supposed to concentrate on the gravity of a topic when all you wanna do is....

....you get my point. Anyway, lest you all wind up being totally disappointed by how shallow I can be at times, I'll just leave it at that. Gotta go get ready to visit the Gisozi Genocide Memorial...right after I go online and order every Idris Elba movie ever made.

No comments: