In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Once in a Lifetime......


Okay, how many times in my life will I get to hug a Nobel Laureate?

I'm guessing it'll probably be just once. It happened last night, when the first African woman to win a Nobel showed up at an Inaugural celebration/prayer service in Nairobi. I'd seen environmental activist Wangari Maathai at a press briefing here a few months earlier, but she was so mobbed by the press and crowd afterward, I couldn't get up close and personal.

So when she walked through the doors at St. Andrews Church last night, I plotted my move carefully. Well, actually, I just waited for this sister named Monique from Brooklyn to pave the way. Monique freely admits to being a Maathai groupie, so I knew nothing would stop her from snagging that prized fan pic. All I needed to do was just ride her jet stream.

I snapped Monique's pic, and she snapped mine. I figure if I can't shake President Obama's hand, I can at least shake the hand of another living legend of Kenyan descent.

You gotta grab the magic when and wherever it presents itself!

No comments: