In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

An Early Thaw


Clearly, the Universe is conspiring to melt the glacial boulder of ice encasing my heart and shove me toward the celestial heating-pad of hope and tingly expectation when it comes to matters of love.

And no, I'm not just blogging while drunk here. You see, at this moment I'm sitting at work absolutely verklempt over a romantic story I just read on the BBC website. It's about a German couple named Miki and Anna-Lena whose love was so intense, they decided to flee the subarctic temperatures of Europe and head to Africa, where they'd get married and live happily ever after. They packed their swimsuits and sunglasses, and asked Anna-Lena's sister to come along to witness their elopement.

Oh, here's the thing...the lovebirds are aged 5 and 6, and the witness is 7.

I don't know what's wrong with me these days, but I'm becoming so sentimental lately, I'm making myself nauseous! Anything that's cute reduces me to a quivering mass of girly emotions. And this has to be the cutest, sweetest story I've heard in decades. It's literally shattering the cynicism I've been nurturing for the past few years about love.

These innocent little children didn't understand that they needed money, and passports, and maybe parental permission, to seal their vow of devotion in a sunnier clime. All they knew is that it's too damn cold in Germany, and they truly loved each other, and they wanted to go somewhere warm with some really cool animals and stuff, and that they needed to get to the airport to do that.

So they walked half a mile from their home to the train station. They boarded one train, got off, and were waiting for the train to the airport when they were spotted by a policeman. He gently explained that they wouldn't be able to get very far without money, but offered to give them a tour of the police station until their relieved parents could come and take them home.

How could you punish them for such a spirited, life-affirming act??? Obviously, I'm thinking their parents admonished them for leaving home without supervision, which could have resulted in unspeakable tragedy. But I don't think they'll EVER see their children undertake a venture so pure, so unforced, and so love-filled again as long as they live.

Sigh. I totally can't stop smiling when I think of those precious little children!! And if they ever want to come to Africa anytime soon, they'll definitely have free lodging with me.

After all, thanks to their amazing saga of romantic pluck, I'm inclined to do anything in the name of true love nowadays.

No comments: