In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Downtown Nairobi, January 28, 2009


First of all, I am totally, totally, TOTALLY okay. So do NOT panic. But I have just experienced one of the scariest situations in my entire life. There was a major explosion and fire about a half a block from where I work this afternoon, and nobody's quite sure what caused it.

There were several power outages during the day today, so when the fire broke out, everybody assumed it was an exploded generator. Anyway, the Nation Centre was evacuated, and now I'm sitting at home watching the horrifying images on TV.

The explosions occurred at the Nakumatt Grocery/Department store about a half a block away from the Nation Centre. I don't even want to think about what the death toll might be....this occurred at around 3 PM in the heart of the Central Business District, so there were plenty of people in the store...

God Help Us All. I'll keep you updated....

No comments: