In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Friday, July 23, 2010

Three Degrees of Separation

These days, I can't escape the feeling tha the older you get, the smaller the world gets. The more likely that there will be just 3 or 4 degrees of separation between you and everybody you meet, instead of 6.

For example, the woman in this picture with me is named Sylvia, and she does what I do in Ghana through the ICFJ program there. We both know a woman named Brenda who has reported on HIV/AIDS for NPR over the past decade or so.

Brenda's birthday was this past Sunday, while Sylvia and I were both in Kampala. So we had someone take a picture of us together, holding a "Happy Birthday" sign, and we posted that picture on Brenda's Facebook page. Just two gals in East Africa sending a shout-out to our mutual friend in DC.

Like I always say, just keep on living long enough, and anything's liable to happen. So far, for me anyway, it's mostly good stuff.

No comments: