In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independence Day

Faith was right.

The Oregon Duck looks pretty terrific on my mantle. It joins the ebony antelopes from Gulu, the doll from Dakar, the little wooden door frame from Rio and the statuette from the 50th Anniversary party for the Daily Nation.

And every day, it'll remind me to be patient. To remember that I DO deserve to have someone like me as much as I like him. And to have him demonstrate that to me in ways big and small, without me having to prime the pump.

I think the decision was made last night, when these lyrics popped into my head:

"This old man's acting lame, He most surely ain't got game! Per my knick-knack, dude you're whack! Throw a gal a bone, Or this cute duck is staying home."

Bottom line? On Independence Day, 2010, I'm declaring freedom from unrequited longing. Life's too short, and I'm too terrific. Bring on the guy who gets it!

No comments: