In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Midnight Hour Is Close At Hand


Last Monday morning, I declared a one week deadline, a sort of challenge to the Universe and my buddy "Big G" to reveal my divine right partner. And to do it by midnight June 28th.

Of course, in the interim, the week has yielded some astounding psychic blows. It's like great hunks of my childhood were obliterated these past 7 days. I remember sneaking out of bed to watch "The Tonight Show" as a kid, and now the second pillar of that memory, Announcer Extraordinaire Ed McMahon, is dead. I remember praying with all my might that one day I would wake up with a flowing mane of hair like Farrah Fawcett's, and now she's dead. I remember being madly, hopelessly in love with Michael Jackson, circa "Off The Wall," and POOOF! He's gone, too.
Oh, and I just logged on to discover that bombastic Orange Glo/Oxi-Clean pitchman Billy Mays got conked on the head during a rough plane landing in Florida, and didn't wake up the next morning. Any American with a TV who's ever had insomnia knows that name. Like Michael, Mays was only 50.

Damn. At this point, that's all I can muster. DAMN. But I'm gonna try to start the new week focused on life instead of death. And I'm not gonna hold Big G to that June 28th midnight deadline for Mr. Right to show up. That's mostly 'cause it's almost 11 PM in Nairobi now, and if a man shows up at my door within the next hour, it likely would be to brutally murder me, which I'm really not in the mood for.

This dizzying past week has taught me many, many things, besides the life lessons on Regina Brett's list. Here's a new item: If you wake up in the morning, it's a good day. And here's another one: stop putting off stuff you've been meaning to do. For example, tonight, for the first time ever, I made Thai coconut curry. Thai food was one of my last culinary enigmas, an area I never dared enter for fear of failing miserably. But the 8 people who came over for dinner tonight said it really good. I'll check on their health status tomorrow.

The main thing is I've decided is to let go of that forced deadline and leave it up to Big G to make things happen when they're supposed to. All I can do is be prepared and ready to receive my blessings when they appear.

I've got a LOT more living to do. Unless I don't, which there's nothing I can do about. But if I do, anything can happen. Unless it doesn't, but at least I have some input in that realm. Whatever, dudes, it's almost midnight, and I'm babbling 'cause I'm exhausted and it's time to go to bed.

After all, tomorrow is another day. And it'll be here any minute now.

No comments: