In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Rekindling Kendwa


I'm still finding it hard to believe that just two weeks ago, I was lolling around the beach on ZANZIBAR, of all places. It just doesn't seem possible.

When people told me that the beaches at Kendwa, on the northern tip of the island, were fantastic, I was skeptical. I wondered if they could match some of the other amazing tropical vistas I've been blessed to visit in my lifetime. After all, just one year ago, I was perpetratin' like "The Girl from Ipanema" on the beaches of Rio de Janeiro. After the majestic vistas that are beaches on Maui, I'd rank the Rio experience as my Number 2 All Time Fantabulous Beach Vacation.

Well, Kendwa quickly claimed 3rd place. But that's probably because of the overall Zanzibar vibe. The spicy food, the mystical Arab influences in art and architecture, the bottomless margaritas, the Indian Head and Neck Massage and Pedicures by a woman named Catherine at the Mama Africa "spa", which is really just a thatched hut out on the beach, but which will transport you to orgasmic levels of relaxation...

Zanzibar is off the hook, y'all. I'm already planning to go back in early June.

No comments: