In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Life Goes On.....



I am literally headed out of the door to my first vacation since arriving in Kenya. My good friend Ron and I are headed to Zanzibar, and hopefully loads of fun, sun, and spicy food.

I haven't written much lately because after a while, you just don't know what to say. So far, about 28 deaths have been confirmed from the supermarket blaze that occurred near my office downtown. In all, 50 people are suspected to have died in the fire. Some bodies will never be identified.

But that was just the first fire. Last Saturday evening, an oil tanker overturned about 2 hours away from Nairobi. As people scrambled to collect the spilled fuel, police officers at the scene decided to start charging them for access. Someone protested that fee, and decided to teach the greedy policemen a lesson by lighting a match.

So far, 120 people are confirmed dead, and about 130 hospitalized in serious condition.

After a while, you just don't want to think about it anymore. That's where I am at the moment. And watching the people going about their business downtown today, or standing near the burned out store as workers sifted through the rubble, I realized that the only solution to the madness is to remind yourself that life DOES go on. It has to.

No comments: