In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Monday, August 18, 2008

Medal Madness

The newsroom has just erupted in a roar that would've scared the crap out of me if I didn't know the Olympics were underway.

Two Kenyan women have just taken gold and silver in the 800 meter race, and the whole building is rocking. The only other time I've heard anything like this was when I was in Rio de Janeiro in 2002, during the World Cup games. I was on a press trip, and remember how eerily empty the streets were as we did our van tour of the city. But every now and then, an ominous roar would erupt from the houses and apartment buildings and bars, and we knew Brazil must have scored a goal.

I haven't been following the Olympics this year, but I'm glad I was able to share in this joyous moment for Kenya. Makes me wish I'd been in a Sports bar in the US when Michael Phelps won his 8th gold medal.

And it also makes me wonder if I should start thinking about finding some really good earplugs for November 5th........

No comments: