In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Flower Power

It's about 1 AM in Nairobi, and it just occurred to me why I've been buying flowers like they're going out of style this week.

Sure, these days it's as reflexive as breathing. Flowers are so glorious and plentiful, and cheap here. It's been absolute heaven to have fresh roses every week, in just about every room, and only spend about 10 dollars to boot.

But I've been a total petal perp these past few days!! I'm talking roses and birds of paradise, and lilys and a couple of stems of something I can't even pronounce, but they were such a vivid shade of orange I HAD to have them.

I've been thinking maybe it's because the weather is so much better these days, and I'm really feeling settled, and it's such a joy to have beautiful flowers in your living space. But now I know the real reason.

Sunday will be the first August 17th in ages that I didn't buy flowers for my sister Julie's birthday. Some imprint on my heart is making me do this, I just know.

Now, if I could just figure out what's making me head to the freezer for some Snickers gelato right now....

No comments: