In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Confessions of a Praise Pig...

You know, I can honestly understand why people think I'm certifiable for agreeing to live in places like Gulu, Uganda, and even Nairobi.

Gulu moreso than Nairobi, of course, because Gulu is basically a large outhouse with a police station attached. Also, it's smack dab in the middle of a formerly active brutal war zone....but with the way recent talks are going between the Lord's Resistance Army and the Ugandan Goverment, it could become active again real soon.

On the other hand, Nairobi is a remarkably modern, cosmopolitan African capital city with enough great restaurants to keep me occupied for another 2 or 3 years. Ain't no shame in my game for agreeing to come here, y'all.

Still, in hindsight, I do feel kind of guilty for subjecting family and friends to the inevitable wrenching concerns about my safety during my travels through Africa. But then, I guess I'm not too guilty, huh??? Because five months after escaping Gulu with my hide intact, I turned around and agreed to move to Nairobi, just 5 months after horrifying violence ravaged the city and the rest of the country.

So, am I nursing some unrelenting subconscious desire to be julienned in my sleep? Am I a hardcore adrenalin junkie who has decided that life ain't worth living unless there's a constant risk of death in the air? Naaah, I just like it when people tell me I've helped them in some way.

I got the following e-mail response today from one of my Ugandan radio trainees, Pius Sawa, after I found him on the Linked-In website and invited him to join my list of contacts. I think it's fairly self-explanatory.

************************************

On 8/5/08 2:19 AM, Rachel Jones wrote: --------------------
Sawa, I'd like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn. -Rachel

On 8/20/08, 10:50 AM, Pius Sawa wrote:-----------------
Thanks Rachel,

Nice to hear that you are in Nairobi. I am doing well here, and i have just won a marantz digital recorder from BBC World Service Trust, for my feature about transitional Justice. The whole credit goes to you who taught me how to make a feature. Pius

*************************************

Now, is the occasional brief, warm fuzzy e-mail from a grateful African journalism trainee worth risking life and limb?

Yeah, I guess it is.

1 comment:

Nicofeli Youth Club said...

this is fantastic - it's these moments that keep you going through the more trying times as a trainer!

i take back all snarky comments about the high school photo. it rocks.