In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Yet Another Perspective

See, THIS is what is so infuriating about dealing with hormonal issues. One day, you're ready to read the riot act, and the next day, you can be major-ly mellow. One day you can feel like you are going batshit insane, and then the next day, you can sit with your feet propped up, watching sailboats float by on a brilliantly sunny day on the coast of Kenya, and you can find yourself utterly convinced that everything is really gonna be okay.

If you have to spend most of the weekend working, this would be the place to do it. And I made the most of the fresh air, and the cool breezes, and the sheer beauty of the Mnarani Beach Club in Kilifi. I got exfoliated and facial-ed, and massaged. Heck, I didn't even get upset when after I stepped away from my breakfast this morning for a refill of mango juice, a rogue monkey snuck up and stole my slice of freshly-baked bread!

(The little bastard....)

Anyway, in between peering into my MacBook screen, I took deep, gulping breaths, and I thought really, really, REALLY hard about my life. The past 49 years have been this maddeningly exciting, against-all-odds, adventurous, largely solo expedition--so far. And in most ways, it just keeps on getting more exciting and adventurous.

I guess what I need to do is visualize this picture with another pair of feet beside mine. Because that's really the only thing that's missing in my life right now. Sure, it's a fairly significant thing, but it doesn't mean that all the rest of the picture is meaningless and not as beautiful as my eyes are telling me it is.

So even when my brain is addled, and I'm feeling like someone turned on the internal microwave, I've gotta stay Kool Moe Dee about it. (Good Lord, forget the hot flashes...I really just showed my age with that reference!! But it just popped into my head, and it feels okay that I know who he is. I've earned every second of these 49 years, and I'm gonna thoroughly enjoy whatever's left!)

No comments: