In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Monday, October 4, 2010

The Bench to Damascus

THIS is where I spent most of the past two days. I highly recommend this spot, or one like it. The view from here was of the Mara River, which of course is the main reason people from around the world travel to the visually-stunning Maasai Mara region.

But at one point during my perch on this bench, I remembered that the word “mara” is almost the same as the Hebrew word for “bitter"- "marah." That occurred to me at an appropriate moment, because the thoughts I had while sitting on that bench were pretty brutal at various points. Yet each and every one was necessary for me to unpack, turn over in my hands and examine from every angle, and then name 'em and claim 'em.

More later. Maybe. For now, here are the blogposts I wrote over the past few days but couldn’t post because I was out in the eerily peaceful yet freakin’ back of beyond. (NOTE TO SELF: From now on, your mantra must of necessity be, “Nature Ain’t Natural if there Ain’t No ‘Net.”)

No comments: