In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

"Deer Archangel..."

…that is, until a few hours later, when this pesky eland started getting on my damn nerves and following me around everywhere. I mean, there I sat on my rust-colored bench, trying to think my weighty thoughts, which might have included discovering the key to World Peace, and here comes this Clarice-lookin’ critter wanting to nibble on my umbrella (FYI, Clarice was Rudolph’s reindeer girlfriend).

But I guess she helped lift my mood a bit. Actually, just before she showed up I’d been sitting there on that bench crying my eyes out, remembering where I was 3 years ago today. Carbondale Memorial Hospital. And it was on that day that I finally accepted that my sister Julie wasn’t going to pull through that last joust with death. But as the clouds started building and the sky turned grayer and grayer, and my mood sank lower and lower, I finally got the message I’ve been seeking for quite some time now.

No comments: