In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Monday, August 30, 2010

YIKES!!!

For the first time in my life, I seriously acknowledge and appreciate the value of adult diapers.

This is the shot of the tracker guide telling me to stay completely still, because the Ginormous Silverback Gorilla was heading directly towards me. We had all been warned not to panic if that happened. We had even been advised to seriously search our souls, and if we thought we wouldn't be able to deal with being near a mammoth specimen of monkey-type might, we probably shouldn't go on the hike.

I guess Life has spent the past 7 years preparing me for this kind of situation. I've been overtaken by things far more scary than this gorilla. So I just stood up, tried not to notice that even on all fours, that gorilla was almost as tall as me, and held my breath until he loped past. Now, if he had stopped and looked at me, or touched me in any way, I would not be alive to write this posting. My heart would have stopped dead cold, of that I'm certain.

So, in the safe, comfortable hindsight view from my couch at the Oasis of Graciousness, I can wax nostalgic about how thrilling and exciting my Saturday morning jaunt was. And I'd encourage anybody to try it. Just make sure you're packin' some serious Pampers, for realz.

No comments: