In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

"I'm a Rwand-erer..."

As I was filling out this month's Immigration card at JKIA, these lyrics ran through my head...

"I'm the type of gal that likes to roam around, I'm never in one place, I roam from town to town..."

Of course, the rest of Dion's 1961 song is about all the different girls he meets and vanquishes along the way. Sadly, that old-assed ditty is completely out of line with today's realities. The 2010 version would have to end with Dion's plaintive description of his strict compliance with daily ARV's if he was screwing around that way.

And yes, I DO realize when I call it an old-assed song that it was written the year I was born. But hey, I'm still a pretty hot tamale, filled with the energy and drive to explore the world. Especially the East African Region. Let's see, last month it was Kampala, last week, Kisumu and Kakamega, this week Kigali, and on Sept. 2nd, Kilifi.

You know, when I'm not focusing on what I don't have, I realize I'm an extremely lucky person. Just think, two weeks ago I witnessed a peaceful, historic election in Kenya, and today I'm traveling next door to Rwanda, where another globally-scrutinized election took place. Basically, I've had a mezzanine seat to history since I plopped down in Gulu 3 years ago. After all, it was just a year after the peace treaty between the Lord's Resistance Army and the Ugandan Government had been signed, and things could have gone either way during my 7 months there.

Yeah, I'm a wanderer. Or considering where I'm headed today, I'm a "Rwand-erer." And somehow, I can't escape the feeling that I'm here for a reason. Hopefully, it'll involve bundles of cash and my Divine Right Partner, but even if neither of those things happen, DANG, it's a hell of a ride!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.