In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Monday, August 30, 2010

Kickin' Kilos to the Kurb in Kigali

This is why rich people are rarely fat and sluggish and unmotivated.

It's the view from the treadmill at the Kigali Serena Hotel's Maisha Spa. I'm familiar with the Serena Hotel spas in Kampala and Nairobi, but the only time I've actually stayed in a room has been in Kigali, during last year's US Embassy Reporting Workshop and this time around.

Last year, half the property was under major renovation, and the pool was closed off. Post-construction, this is the view from the treadmills, and I found myself so inspired, I worked out 4 times during the past week.

I HAD to. I'm starting to understand why the salesgirl in Kisumu picked out a pair of XXL jeans for me to try on. I would love to say I'm embracing my curves, but basically, I'm just dreading the daily ritual of wrassling my way into a pair of unforgiving Spanx. I know it's payback for all the times I laughed myself silly in disbelief at all the medieval girdles my mother used to buy, but there you have it.

Besides, I also knew I was headed to the hike of a lifetime on the weekend, and I needed to keep up the momentum I launched on August 1st, when I rejoined my local Nairobi gym. And man, am I ever glad I did.

No comments: