In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Road to Dar


I'm feeling a bit less gob-smacked today, after last week's pensive revelry. If you're lucky, you really are able to draw some comfort from thinking that someone who's been ill for a very long time is in a better place once they die. Let me just put it out there now...I don't consider it stoic or brave to suffer for the sake of hanging on, and want anybody who might give two figs when my time comes to remember this one important message,

"PULL THE FREAKIN' PLUG. NOW!! WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR???"

Anyway, part of the reason I'm coming up for air is that I'm sitting in Jomo Kenyatta International Airport at the moment, headed to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. I was going to use the "Another Notch On My Belt" analogy until I remembered I've already been to Tanzania. Zanzibar, remember? (Man, newsheimers is really stalking me these days...)

So this'll be my first time on mainland TZ. But don't get any funny ideas, cuz this ain't a vacation. I'm headed to a seminar for malaria researchers, where I'll participate in a media panel. Basically, I'll be trying to help them learn how to talk like regular folks when they're explaining their research.

Hope to get a little exploring in at some point, though. Ooops, there's the boarding call. More later!

No comments: