In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Saturday, February 12, 2011

In Full Bloom

I bought these lillies on Friday, February 4th. It was the day before what I considered THE best dinner party I've thrown in almost 3 years in Nairobi. I love having them in the bathroom; they're so pretty, and they smell so sweet. Now that I think about it, that party was on February 5th. That was the day my mother died, in 2005.

Usually, after a couple of days, my lillies start to curl up and turn brown. By the fourth day, the sweet smell goes sour, the water gets murky, and the leaves start falling off. By day five, they're in the dumpster.

This morning, eight days later, was my brother Fred's funeral. These must be magic lillies, because they're in full bloom, and they still smell sweet. I'm not exactly sure when Fred died; they found him on the morning of February 7th.

I'm going to bed now. Rest in peace, lillies.

1 comment:

Kit in DC said...

me again. Why did I not realize you were blogging all the way? I have a lot of years and blog posts to be blown away by, it seems, as this one just did. RIP indeed Rachella's family. You done good.