In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Friday, February 11, 2011

"I'm Just Sayin', Dawg...." Part 26

Here's another reason why the most valuable thing I own is my sense of humor.

Late Monday night, when my sister Marilyn and I finished clawing our way through the shock and profound sadness of accepting that our poor, tragic brother Fred was finally at peace, Marilyn sighed and recalled what the old school rappers used to do when one of their homeys got smoked. They poured a little booze on the ground, and then solemnly declared, "I'll meet ya' at 'The Crossroads,' dawg. "

With tears of pain stinging in the corners of my eyes, once again I found myself utterly unable to stop the sarcastic remark that spilled out.

"Yeah, but at our age, instead of pouring booze, we just pop a high blood pressure pill and say, "Meet ya' at the Blue Cross, Blue Shield clinic." Trust me, laughter can save your life, sometimes. Or at least your sanity.

"I'm just
sayin', dawg...."

No comments: