In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Friday, March 19, 2010

But I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For????

Begging your pardon, but I have been totally all tied up these past few days with a little shindig going on in Nairobi this week. Basically, the company I've been working with for the past 20 months, Nation Media Group, has been celebrating its Jubilee...50 years ago this month since the first NMG product, the Daily Nation Newspaper, began publishing.

The Pan African Media Conference 2010 is a really, REALLY big deal. Especially for a mildly-burnt out cynic like me! In fact, it's a bigger deal than I ever really considered it would be, even though NMG is the biggest media company in East and Central Africa. More than anything else, it's offered me an amazing opportunity to reflect on my African training experiences during the past 7 years. Ever since the first time I set foot on the African Continent to lead a reporting workshop, in March of 2003, as a matter of fact, I have had some extraordinary opportunities to observe African media and all its challenges up close and personal.

And get this: the Pan African Media Conference is also making me question whether now's the time to leave the Mamaland. (Yeah, yeah, I know....) But there's so much going on, so much potential. Heck, the theme of the conference is ""Media and the Africa Promise"......

"Should I stay or should I go now? If I stay there will be trouble, If I go there will be double..."

Anyway, I'm still caught up in PAMC activities at the mo', so I'll share my thoughts and impressions over the coming days. But I couldn't help sending this little postcard--my Blurry Brush with Bono! Mr. Afro-Optimism himself, one of the most severely cool people on the planet. I actually got to shake his hand!!!!

Sometimes, I actually shock myself with some of the stuff that happens to me.

No comments: