In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

When I Think Of Home....

....thank GOD I don't have to think of this. I take so, so much for granted. Every time I go to Kibera and then return to the Oasis of Graciousness to peel out of my muddy, grubby shoes and jeans and into a hot shower, I am overwhelmed by a sense of profound good fortune. I'm also slightly guilty that I am just one woman living in peace and comfort, with more than enough room, when nearly a million people are crammed into squalid spaces like this one.

Especially a pretty little girl in a pretty yellow dress who who probably wonders why so many people walk by with cameras and tape recorders, and yet nothing ever changes. Still, I can't stop believing that while I'm on the Continent, it's worth my time and effort to keep going back to Kibera, when an opportunity arises.

No comments: