In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Duly Corrected

No woman should EVER have to see herself from behind. And let's not even mention the burden of having photographic evidence of said horror. But I figure it's penance for making some mistakes in my recent posting about Rye Barcott.

I went back to Carolina for Kibera this afternoon, with a young freelancer named Sabina, hoping to help her develop a feature story about the program. I hadn't been there 10 minutes before Rye called me Princess Rachella, and said he'd read my blogpost!! (I should have known a guy like him would be techno-savvy and hook himself up to get an email alert anytime his name gets mentioned on the Web!!!) He seemed thrilled with it, had even emailed it to his wife and mom and God knows who else back home.

And he was gracious enough to wait until after thanking me before mentioning the errors. First, he only lived in Kibera for 5 weeks, instead of a year. (Guess I was just doing a bit of projecting. For me, one night in a room in Kibera by myself would feel like a year.) And Nurse Tabitha, who inspired Barcott's project, died in December of 2004, not in 2005.

Mea culpa. Can't go around mentoring journalists if I don't get it right myself.

No comments: