In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sesame on Wry

I just came across the program for one of the shows I saw while I was in New York, and it reminded me of yet ANOTHER of my critical life lessons of late.

If you haven't seen the off-Broadway musical "Avenue Q," and if you were ever even vaguely curious about it, I would strongly urge you to check it out. That is, if you are not even remotely prudish. And you have a healthy appreciation for all things absurd. And if you don't find injecting adult scenarios onto a beloved children's television program obscenely offensive.

If none of those conditions apply, you really oughta catch it, because you will come dangerously close to busting a gut at various points during the show. It's a twisted take on "Sesame Street," with actors manipulating large felt puppets. Those young adult puppets are trying to make their way in the world, with hilariously varying results.

I won't give away too much about the plot, except to share ANOTHER critical life lesson that has bedeviled me of late:

When freakin' puppets have hotter sex than you've had in ages, you know you really gotta start shaking things up, somehow. You are skirting dangerously close to a social "DEFCON 5" level. That's all I shall divulge at this point in time. I won't even resort to jokes like the need to get "felt" up, or to have someone pull your (G) strings, or to explore your "carnival" nature.

(Okay, you didn't REALLY believe I wouldn't go there, did you???)

No comments: