In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Special Delivery

I just sent my friend Simone an email saying how much I wished she and her boys could have been there when the kids at PCEA Muniu saw the books and toys and clothing she sent.

The people still living in tents in Internally Displaced Persons camps throughout Kenya have been completely abandoned by their government. Many go for days and weeks without food and water. They're barely protected from the elements, and now they're bracing for the "short rains" next month which will probably flood their campgrounds. Desperation is about the only thing there's plenty of.

It must be hard for them to imagine that people living 7,000 miles away cared enough about them to send those gifts, when their own politicians don't seem to remember they exist.

No comments: