In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Holiday Humbug

I have never, ever, in my entire existence as an Internationally Renowned Hostess with the Most-est, felt LESS like giving a party than I do at this very moment.

Fortunately, nearly half of the people I've invited to an impromptu Expat Labor Day Party have sent their last minute regrets, so maybe there won't be a huge mob to clean up after. At least there's that.

Pardon this temporary relapse, but I can't stop remembering that this is the 3rd Labor Day in a row that I've been outside of the US. Granted, at least I'm not in Gulu chomping on the shank bone of an emaciated goat. But I am experiencing a MAJOR charred hotdog deficiency. I haven't had a decent piece of barbecue in ages, and I'd KILL for a Bud Light with Lime. And the End of Kenyan Winter doldrums are about to drive me batty! It's still chilly and gray here most of the time, and I'm fed up with wearing socks to bed.

In short, I miss the American Summer Holiday Vibe like crazy.

Which is partly why I invited some folks over this evening, to try and recreate that spirit. Let's see what happens. Chin up, and all that rot. Happy Labor Day On Foreign Soil To Meeeeee...

No comments: