In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Friday, November 21, 2008

Radiance and Rosebud


I have a brand new 7 year old She-ro, and every time I think of her, I just feel so doggoned happy!

Sasha Obama should be the one walking around calling herself Sasha Fierce. In just about every picture she's in, her adorable little face is front and center, without the slightest trace of fear, intimidation or shyness. Sasha seems to enjoy being photographed, a trait I hope she'll retain.

Her willowy, coltish big sister Malia already seems to be developing some of the
poise and aloofness that many pre-teen girls try so hard to convey. Or maybe she's just shyer than her little sister. Or, and I suspect this might be at least part of the case, Malia is just old enough to comprehend what's happened over the past few years...and how her life will never, ever be the same. She may even understand just a smidge about the enormous pressure her parents will face as the President and First Lady of the United States, and that would have to be a bit scary for a 10-year-old kid.

Anyway, when I learned the new Secret Service code names for both little Obama girls, I almost felt like crying again. Malia's name is Radiance, and Sasha's is Rosebud. Now, I knew they'd have to begin with R, because their Daddy is Renegade and their Mommy is Renaissance. But my heart literally fluttered about their monikers, mostly because they perfectly capture the essence of their public images. Malia is like a radiant young princess, and Sasha's impishly round face resembles nothing if not a perfect little rosebud.

But I wanted to cry because the thought of two little black girls getting to roam the halls of the White House just makes me want to shout, "Thank you, Jesus!" The thought that they'll be presiding over next year's Easter Egg Hunt just makes me want to give two snaps in a circle, put my hands on my hips and go, "That's what I'M talkin' bout!" The thought they they will be the ambassadors for a whole new range of possibilities for the African American child just makes me want to get down on my knees and start praying and crying again.

Yeah, yeah, you've heard a coupla million people say over and over that they never thought they'd live to see this day. But I'd bet a good many African American women are saying that for another reason. We never ever expected to see the day when two little black girls would be publicly compared to radiant rosebuds. When I think of all the times I tied the towel to my head and pranced around pretending to be a fairy princess, I realize I wasn't trying to be Snow White or Cinderella. I just wanted to feel what it was like to be a pretty little girl. Or even like it was possible that somebody could think I was a pretty little girl.

And now there will be two pretty little black girls living in America's Castle. My GOD, I never thought I'd live to see this day.

Anyway, back to my baby-girl Sasha. I will NEVER forget one campaign video clip of Michelle and the girls headed down some walkway, and they were planning to turn off to the left. Well, something caught Sasha's eye; I don't know if it was a person waving, or a TV camera, or what, but Sasha kept on walking straight ahead, just as carefree as you please.

The look on Michelle's face made me cringe and chuckle at the same time. I'd seen it about a coupla thousand times myself growing up. It was, like, "Girl, if you don't get your little behind back over here, I will snatch the TASTE out yo' mouth!"

This is why I'm confident that even though Radiance and Rosebud will be treated like Little Princesses over the next 4 years, they will never, EVER turn into wretched, untamed urchins (ahem, BUSH TWINS, cough, cough.) And whether it turns out to be 4 years or 8, they will always and forever be a balm on my heart.

1 comment:

Oliver said...

I was moved by this piece. Thanks for your thoughts.