In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Saturday, November 1, 2008

"And Now Back to Regular Programming...."

Only I could equate a protracted layover with perimenopause.

But then, as a devout believer of Woody Allen's creative dictum that "Life is material," I had to get something out of the hellish maelstrom that was my return trip from the U.S.

I've been back in Nairobi about 48 hours now, and I'm amazed by how okay I feel! When I remember how wretched I felt for about 3 weeks after arriving here in June, I'm astonished that I've slept soundly, during my usual 7 hours ahead of DC schedule, and I don't feel as groggy and disoriented as back then.

And here's the strangest thing of all. It feels good to be here. Oh, not in the way it felt good to be in New York and DC, surrounded by friends and familiar sights and sounds and foods. It's just that, after 4 months, I feel like I get Nairobi. It's still nervewracking, like the 2 hour drive home from the airport in obscenely congested, diesel fume choked traffic that only takes 45 minutes when the roads are clear.

It's just that, for the next 8 months, this IS my home. It's where I've chosen to be. It's where I'm doing important work, and doing a great job of it, I might add. Where the next road leads is a mystery...all there is is now.

And for now, it's good to be home.

1 comment:

MARTIN KINYUA said...

hi,

I have gone through your blog,i love it.
Keep it moving.ive learnt a few things from it.

my skype address is andrearadoo.

my address is martykenty@yahoo.com
Thanks.

Andrew