In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Monday, April 12, 2010

"Hush Now, Don't Explain"

Y'all should be so proud of me! I just got back to the Oasis, after two and a half days at the Shaanti Holistic Yoga Retreat south of Mombasa, and I didn't write a single blog post the whole time!

I have been hearing rave reviews about this place for ages, so it didn't take much for me to agree to accompany my friend Anne back to my beloved Diani Beach. And as soon as we stowed our bags and started wandering the property, I immediately felt that Billie Holiday mood returning. Mellow, seasoned, cool.

I also decided to return because I suspect yoga may be the answer for me, in the long term. It's about being flexible, and pliant, and open. It's about being in the moment, about listening to your own breath. It's about being receptive and focused. All things I need to be, in all areas of my life.

When I reclined on a lounge chair Saturday afternoon, shortly after we arrived, this is what I saw. And it was beautiful. Peaceful. Breezy yet calm.

Don't overthink this. It's simple. I needed to seek balance. I needed to slow down.

The word "Shaanti" is Sanskrit for serenity. That's what I'm aiming for.

No comments: