In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Monday, October 27, 2008

I Voted [X]


I am beyond exhausted. I only have about 18 more hours in DC, and though I've gotten a few things accomplished, there's just so much more I wanted to do.

And I'm battling the worst cold I've had in years. I kind of expected that the change in temps might be a bit unsettling, but I'm honking like a goose, people. Which should make my two 8 hour flights tomorrow and Wednesday quite memorable.

Sigh.

Anyway, the thing I regret most is that I had wanted to roll with my crew at NPR, this group of amazing women whom I've laughed and cried and laughed til I cried with. They had my back through so much drama and pain over these past 5 years in particular, and I wish I could at least get a hug from them while I'm here.

"Big Shout Out to my girls Sharahn and Muthoni and Allison and Sarah and Anne and Wilma and Brenda and Gisele and Kitty and Sue and Julie and Teshima and Deb, and Susan who's in from Berlin....et al!!!"

Hey, you do what you can do, and that's all you can do, I guess. At least I accomplished the thing I've been visualizing pretty solidly for the past month or so.....I filled out my ballot for the Nov. 4th Presidential Election, placed it in an envelope and slipped it into the cheesily official red white and blue ballot box at the DC Board of Election Headquarters.

It felt really, really great. Besides, while I was in New York, my friend Marcy had told me about her 5 year old niece Isabella, who voted in her kindergarten class election. She went home that afternoon and told her mother she had voted for "Orock Bama."

That has to be the cutest thing I've heard in ages! And if a 5 year old can meet her civic obligations, then I sure as hell can. Even if I am feelin' tore up from the floor up.

No comments: