In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Saturday, November 7, 2009

B.B. and Baba

I know I promised to explain the skewed picture below, but for the moment, I just HAVE to process the experience I just had. It's about 4:30 AM Nairobi time, 1:3o in Dakar, and I should seriously be asleep, but I can't stop thinking about the amazing concert tonight!!

I am so damn lucky to have scored a ticket to the 50th Anniversary of "Jazz a Dakar," which was headlined by the legendary Senegalese musician Baba Maal! I've heard his music throughout the years, but my God, the man's voice just soars, and lilts, and transcends, all at once.

I almost wanted to pinch myself during the whole gig. The other artists were great, too, but Baba. BABA! It reminded me of the last time I felt so joyful, so wired, so privileged at a concert. That was during BB King's 75th birthday party in Memphis. I was there interviewing for a job, and the managing editor got me a ticket; I could not BELIEVE my astounding good fortune.

This time, a Welshman named Ian who used to run the UNICEF office in Dakar had an extra ticket and invited me along with a group of his friends. We wound up sitting in the front row. The only downside was the drunken (or high--or both)Peace Corps volunteer who flailed about like Jed Clampett on crack and blocked my view a few times.

Otherwise, it was one of those experiences that, down to your very marrow, make you feel happy to be alive. From now on, pour moi, B.B. + Baba=Blessings.

No comments: