In July, 2008, I, Princess Rachella, Intrepid African American Girl International Journalism Consultant, pulled up stakes once again and headed to Nairobi, Kenya. Through my various adventures, I've concluded that if I get any MORE explosively fabulous in these prequel years to "THE BIG 5-0," I will have to register myself with the Pentagon as a thermonuclear incendiary device.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

"I'm just Sayin', Dawg," Part 26"

It's never a good idea to let guilt be a major motivating factor in your life. Still, I can honestly admit that most of the reason I haven't been blogging lately is that I'm stil processing my time in Juba, GOSS. Also, I think back-to-back journalism trainings knocked me on my butt, for real. I've concluded that the investment of emotional energy....the hope that someone will benefit from all the hard work and effort....is a bigger drain than the physical toll.

But my time in Southern Sudan also managed to inspire me, in so many ways. Here's the ultimate moment...when a Sudanese woman journalist walked up to me and tied this banner around my waist. It's the symbol used by folks who want the South to separate from the North and form a new country. After 2o years of war and strife, they think it's time for a clean break.

The vote for the new referendum will begin on Sunday, January 9th, 2011. And the name of the journalist in this picture, the one who tied the banner around my waist, is....Sunday.

YOU do the math. Once again, I am stunned by how I always seem to have these extraordinary opportunities for a ringside seat during historic moments on the African continent of late. There's GOTTA be a reason for it...

"I'm just sayin', dawg..."

No comments: